This house was the first frame house in Buffalo County. It was
built in the late 1850s when it was part of the Boyd
Ranch on the Wood River near Gibbon. The ranch furnished supplies
to travelers on the Platte Valley Overland Trails. James E. Boyd, co-founder of the ranch with his brother, Joseph, became the seventh governor of Nebraska in 1891.